The Museum of Arts and Design (MAD) in New York City is proud to launch Moving Paper, the cut-paper animation film festival website and competition. Inspired by the exhibition Slash: Paper under the Knife, Moving Paper celebrates the use of cut paper in animation, both historical and contemporary, and invites YOU to participate by uploading your video to the website.
Videos will be available on the website, and winning entries will be screened as a part of the Moving Paper International Film Festival, on Saturday, March 27, 2010 at the Museum of Arts and Design.
In addition to being a part of the MAD Moving Paper Film Festival, winners will receive cash prizes ($250 grand prize (2 prizes), $150 runner up (4 prizes) and a Slash catalog.
To submit your cut-paper animation for consideration in the Moving Paper film festival, and to be a part of our on-line competition, please follow the following guidelines:
- Click here for step-by-step instructions on uploading your video to youtube.com, and then entering it into the competition.
- Entries must be 10 minutes or shorter in duration. This can be an excerpt from a longer work (no longer than 20 minutes) or the entirety of the work. If you work is selected for inclusion in the Festival, the entire piece will be shown.
- All entries will be viewable on our website. Visitors are invited to vote for their favorites.
- Submissions will be judged by our online visitors for our “people’s choice” winners, and by a jury of artists and curators for our “MAD’s choice” winners. Winning films from each category will be screened as a part of the Moving Paper Film Festival, on Saturday, March 27, 2010.
- Animators may submit as many clips as they wish, but each clip must represent a separate entry, not multiple excerpts from a longer work.
- Entries must be submitted by midnight EST March 1, 2010. All voting will end on March 1, 2010.
- Winners will be notified of their selections by March 14, 2010, and at that time must be able to provide a full-length version of their entry in the highest quality possible, for screening in the MAD theater. An FTP Site for this purpose will be provided.
By participating in the competition, you agree NOT to submit, upload, or post any video that:
- uses copyright-protected material unless given express permission from the copyright holder.
- libels, defames, invades privacy, or is abusive, profane, or threatening infringes on any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity
- falsifies or deletes author attributions, legal notices, or other proprietary designations
- violates any law
- advocates illegal activity
- advertises or otherwise solicits funds or sales of goods or services
- contains lewd material or content inappropriate for viewing by children
Violation of any of the above guidelines will disqualify your submission. MAD reserves the right not to post materials, at their discretion.